German ambassador to Ireland doesn’t hold back and tells it like he sees it and delivers funny anecdote.
- Ireland is a coarse place with a sad history where the natives are obsessed by money
- Junior ministers earn more than the German Chancellor
- 20 per cent of the population are public servants
- Health service chaotic
- Hospital consultants turn down ‘Micky Mouse’ money (200,000 euro) to work in public sector
- Irish history “even sadder than Poland’s”
He said that he was at the National Concert Hall when an announcer appealed for the owner of a 1993-registered car to move the vehicle because it was blocking an entrance. “Of course no one moved,” said Mr Pauls. “All the Irish are driving 2006 and 2007 cars. For all I know the car is still there.” He also said that tourists from the United States had stopped visiting Ireland because they were sick of the incessant traffic jams.
Is this true? Perhaps, perhaps not, but its better than being called a ‘bunch of ditch-digging drunks who like nothing better than to sing and fight and fight and sing’